Kampong Gelam comes alive in the third edition of the Aliwal Arts Night Crawl on Saturday, 25 July! Helmed by Aliwal Arts Centre, this year marks the first time the Kampong Gelam community is roped in to present a night of performances, workshops and activities.
Themed Don’t Give Face, this year’s edition is loosely inspired by the mask cultures of Singapore. Visitors are encouraged to don masks and the programme includes elements such as mask crafting and dress-up.
Since its inception in 2013, the Night Crawl aims to showcase the eclectic mix of traditional and contemporary artists based in Aliwal Arts Centre, while paying homage to the rich cultural heritage of Kampong Gelam.
More than 15 artists, arts groups and collectives will present a myriad of performances in multiple locations within the Kampong Gelam precinct, from Beach Road to Bali Lane. Spanning multi-disciplinary genres including dance, literary arts, music, theatre and visual arts, night crawlers will be hosted in over 10 locations, including mystery pop ups!
The exciting line up will include the following highlights:
- Community Art Project
Make your mark in the community art project by cladding a 1.5-metre lion head with materials donated by the haberdasheries and textile merchants of Kampong Gelam. Donors include ─ Lallubhai & Bros, Zaytoun: The Fabric Gallery, and Inai Fabrics.
The lion head is created by Adrian Chua from Traditional Arts, one of the few remaining lion dance head makers in Singapore.
- Children’s Programmes
1) Snag a unique mask designed by ZERO and ANTZ of graffiti collective, RSCLs. Children can add their own personal touch by colouring and decorating the mask onsite. Suitable for kids aged 4 and up.
2) Follow Uncle Rajah’s Flying Carpet in a micro-story trail by Word Forward. Listen to Singapore folk tales told in interesting locations such as a carpet store. Collect stamps at each location to redeem a mystery prize. Suitable for kids aged 4 and up.
3) Grab the opportunity to discover the grace of an ancient art form in this Water sleeve Workshop by the Chinese Opera Institute. Suitable for kids aged 10 and up; adults are welcomed too!
- Cultural Infusions
1) Learn about the rhythms and drums from the Malay Archipelago at Yok Sembang Gendang! hosted by NADI Singapura at the Malay Heritage Centre or groove with them through the streets of Kampong Gelam as they lead the crowds to Aliwal, Pied-Piper-style.
2) Catch the glamourous Minang Fashion Show showcasing beautiful traditional wear from West Sumatra, featuring Indonesian performers, Sumbar Talenta.
- Performing Arts
1) SGMuso curates a special Magical Mystery Trail, featuring surprise Singapore music acts in pop ups within Kampong Gelam.
2) The Singapore I-Lien Drama Society will tug your Heartstrings in a special two-part performance that fuses songs with poetry, puppetry and traditional instruments.
- Video Art
1) View yourself as a costume clad character in this special augmented reality installation Cermin Ajaib (The Magic Mirror) by media artist, Brandon Tay.
2) Have your outfit featured on the façade of Aliwal Arts Centre when you hashtag your Instagram with #AliwalOOTD.
The Aliwal Street public carpark will be closed to host an outdoor stage, as well as an art market curated by The Local People, where you can shop Singapore-made to your heart’s content.
To sweeten the night, night crawlers can enjoy exclusive promotions and discounts from retail and F&B businesses in the precinct, valid only for the night. For even sweeter deals, wear a mask!
The Aliwal Arts Night Crawl takes place on Saturday, 25 July from 5pm till late in the Kampong Gelam district. The Crawl HQ will be at Aliwal Arts Centre, 28 Aliwal Street, Singapore 199918. For more information, please visit
http://www.aliwalartscentre.sg or www.facebook.com/aliwalartscentre.