The OLIVART project is an initiative set up by L’Olivar Foundation and the Perramon de Ventalló Foundation, both of which are based in Ventalló (L’Alt Empordà), in order to promote and preserve nature, the landscape and artistic creation and to raise awareness of art in the context of the countryside.
The foundation is set amid woodland and olive groves in a privileged natural environment which it makes available to support a cultural programme that fosters the relationship between art, nature and the landscape.
The aim is to champion the landscapes of L’Olivar, L’Empordà and Les Alberes as environments that provide the right conditions to connect art and nature and thereby incorporate this place in Catalonia into the famous practices of land art or site-specific work by artists of the standing of Richard Long, David Nash, Giuseppe Penone, Martin Puryear, Andy Goldsworthy, Nil-Udo, Dani Karavan, Maya Lin, Chris Drury, Thierry de Cordier, Anish Kapoor and others.
Each artist in residence will receive the sum of €1,500. In addition, their travel expenses will be covered if they live in the EU. For transoceanic journeys, support from public or private bodies or individuals in the artist’s country of origin will be sought. It is hoped that the programme will be co-produced and supported by foundations and public and private bodies associated with the area.
Artists in residence programme
The intention is to invite four artists working in the various visual art disciplines (painting, sculpture, video art, performance, digital art, etc.), dance, music and literature who are engaged in a piece and a research project on art-nature-landscape. The artists in residence will be selected by an expert committee of the organizers and sponsors. The residence will consist of four weeks to develop a project related to nature and the landscape. The resulting work will be exhibited during the summer in the spaces of L’Olivar or in other areas of the collaborating institutions. L’Olivar has the infrastructure and logistical facilities required for these residences and the ability to organise the event and produce the designed works if required.
Some brief info:
1. Applications are invited for four artist in residence posts to pursue projects related to nature and the landscape in all visual art disciplines (painting, sculpture, installation art, video art, multimedia art, performance, etc).
2. Applicants must be between 27 and 37 years old and have at least five years’ artistic experience.
3. The residency lasts four weeks and is to be completed between 15 May and 15 June 2016 at L’Olivar Foundation.
Applications must include the following documentation:
– Visual documentation related to the projects and previous works (a minimum of six digital images, CD, DVD, video, etc)
– CV in Word format
– A proposal detailing the project to be developed during the residency
– A short written piece on the creative motivation and reason s for pursuing it at L’Olivar Foundation
–– The deadline for presenting the documentation is 15 December 2015. The decision regarding the successful applications will be announced on 15 January 2016.
– Once the residency project has been selected , the artist and L’Olivar Foundation will sign a collaboration contract .
Deadline to apply: 15 December
Results announced January 2016
By mail to: Fundació L’Olivar Disseminats, 73 17473 Ventalló (Girona-Spain)
By e-mail in digital format to: [email protected]